March 11, 2009

Happy Holi!!

Unfortunately the journalism program I'm in doesn't allow too much leeway when it comes to fun. yet nevertheless I put smeared a bit Red powder on my face, and braved the funny looks people gave me on the bus, but hell it was HOLI!
So I'll just list a few of my favorite Holi scenes and songs from the movies I love:

Silsila - Rang Barse
You all knew it had to be here, and as a child grown up on a steady diet of Yash Raj movies this was one of the best holi songs ever! It captures the atmosphere of mirth and fun, and even adds the awkwardness of Sanjeev n Jaya as they look on as Rekha and Amitabh play Holi in the most obvious and suggestive way! The more riskier the two get, the better the tension and awkwardness grows.

Mashaal - Holi Aayi Re
Now this is probably my actual favorite Holi song, as Rang Barse is great and its slightly expected that you'd put that in your top list. But Mashaal is a one of my favorite ANil movies, its full of redemption and journalism so guranteed i usually like it! Put the song is so cute and Anil does his usual Lakhan tapori style dance when being squirted with the Holi colour guns, and his chemistry with Rati Agnitori is very sweet here as they dance together. Plus Dilip and Waheeda get to tenderly apply powder to each others faces, and sing about how each day together is a holi for them which gets a big AWWWW from the Masala Pradesh here.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
The scene in "Tu Mujhe Rab Ko Diktha Hai" where its Holi and Surinder dreams of all the colours and the girls on his balcony swirling their chunis all around. Then his wife just comes up and puts some powder on his face, only SRK could have made the after-face sooooooo cute and heartfelt, his happy face and realization that she's growing to love him is really nice! Sure its a tiny moment of holi but some Holi's can be quaint and sweet like these gestures.


Mohabbatein - Soni Soni
I really love Mohabbatein because the experience of watching it in England in a cinema full of my friends and family, it was packed. Little did i know that all the songs would be the first dance that brides and grooms danced to at the many weddings i attended. Soni Soni always makes me wanna dance and usually I do, as a mad kid I mimiced the dance moves when I was 10. Its full of pomp and colour which makes it soo fun, plus SRK thankfully dancing without those fugly glasses on, and he still had his own version of the Hugh Grant flop too!

Those are 4 of my faves, I'm sorry for my lists being very sporadic or very short, but blogging it in class is the cause! What are your favorites??

5 comments:

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Happy holi Rum!

dunkdaft said...

I find 'Rang Barse' too much overplayed. Gr8 song though.
I love Mangal Pandey's 'Dekho Aai Holi' and Guide's 'Piya To se ..' and Kati Patang's 'Aaj Na Chhodenge..'

Happy Holi...

bollywooddeewana said...

'Holi Ke Din' from Sholay, it's the first holi song i ever heard

Anonymous said...

I love the Holi song in Phool Aur Patthar :)

Nice post!

Rum said...

Thanks!

Shweta - happy holi to you as well!

Darshit - being a yash-raj indoctrinated child, i am prone to liking rang barse, the kati patang song was so sweet too!

Bollywooddeewana - hi there, the holi ke din song was so fun, i wanted to dance too!

Memsaab - happy holi, and thanks memsaab!