August 28, 2008

Zindagi Ka Soundtrack - If Only!

I saw this great post by Ramsu, and veracious' great choices so I decided as the youngest and most indoctrinated since 2 blogger, that I simply must give this a go. This is the best use of my time during these summer hollidays.
Rules of the tag: Various situations are given. You have to come up with a song ( or a couple) that aptly describe those situations in YOUR life.

Opening credits: the title song from "The Burning Train" not a very happy start but squeaky sounds, the electronic voice, and the big brass brand in the back, from the start you know that my zindagi ka soundtrack is going to be a completely funky movie!

Waking up: "Accident Ho Gaya" from Coolie, a very wake up song because it has the screechy violins and it starts with him screaming Allah Rakha. And obviously in the film of my life I have a handy Sheroo from Coolie and Dharam-Veer. And it starts off with "Two young 'uns head out for some mischief" which oviously ends up in a Accident and then an agreement~

Average Day: "Sar Jo Takraye" from Pyaasa, if it was truly an average then I would be comforted by Johnny screeching "Maalish" and offering to maalish my head after a long day.

First Date: "Yeh Raat Bhigi Bhigi" from the old Chori Chori, a completely sweet number where I would have the first date in a garden and run around in abandon like sweet Nargis. And its nice and coy and quietly coquettish from both male and female points of view.

Falling in Love: My falling in love always has to entail running in a field and around a tree, simply because thats my nineties Bollywood indoctrination kicking in so it'd have to be "Pyar Ye Jaane Kaisa Hai" from Rangeela, its the lyrics that are soo sweet the heartbeat sounding drums always get to me and of course I dream of Jackie Shroff in his good days running around on a cliff with me!

Love Scene: "Dum Bhar Jo Munh Phere" from Aawara, a quietly erotic song that is so great that the girl sings most of this song instead of the boy in complete pursuit, so sweet so sexy so lilting!

Fight Scene: "Theme from Don" from Don, a really funky instrumental with blaxpoitation style horns, and some odd bird sounding start, but it has complete dishoom dishoom sounds so its all good.

Breaking Up: "Tu Hi Bata Zindagi" from Armaan, the lyrics are very poignant and all I can remember is seeing my Anil Kapoor cry and when he cries you know he's real sad!

Getting Back Together: "Yaadon Ki Baraat" from Yaadon Ki Baraat, my favorite reunion ever, it didn't imply back with love so getting back with your lost brothers is better, I think it should be used in any lost-and-found movie ever made(maybe not)

Life's Okay: "Khalbali Khalbali" from Rang De Basanti

Mental Breakdown!: "Disco Bhangra" from Ganga Jamuna Saraswati, listening to this horrid song induces mental breakdowns for me, it also makes me want to throw a pie at Laximant Pyarelal for making this song, because as a Punjabi I know for one thing you can never mix dico and bhangra

Learning a Lesson: "Ohh Meri Maa" from Maa, from my favorite bhanged elephant movie, it taught me the lesson never to hurt animals and sell them to a circus, otherwise an elephant maa will escape and stamp on my own.

Driving: "Hum The Woh Thi" from Chalti Naam Ki Ghadi, my only favorite Kishore movie, because it has so many cute horns and car sounds and yodelling

Deep Thought: "Jane Woh Kaise" from Pyaasa, a very melancholy song of how nasty the world is makes me think about the darker side of the world

Flashback: "Mujhe Peene Ka Shauq Nahin" from Coolie, a song flashbacking to tell me never to drink again, if only Devdas and Amitabh in Muqaddar ka Sikandar listened to this! Kaash!

Partying!: "Aja Aaja" from Teesri Manzil, this is a shimmy and twisty inducing song for me, especially Rafi's Elvis like singing

Happy Dance: "Teri Rab Ne Banaya Jodi" from Suhaag, my favorite Punjabi song, and Amitabh in his Bhangra gear is just fab, and it makes me want to dress in my punjabi gear and dance in my nearest park.

Regretting: "Aage Bhi Jaane Na Tu" from old Waqt, its soo sad and shimmy-inducing

Death Scene: Zindagi Toh Bewafaa from Muqaddar Ka Sikander, cheezy is just how I like it!

Closing Credits: Like veracious mentioned the mishmash of rap-and cheezoid hip hop numbers that are done at the end, the most fitting in my life's soundtrack is "Race is On my Mind" from Race or the recent title song of Singh is Kinng with Akshay looking cool without the silly neckerchief and beard. It must also end with a nonsensical love statement a la Yash Chopra. Mine would be Rum's Love is Life or It's All About Loving your Rum in pink letters!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list!

Some of the choices were absolutely fantastic, like Yeh raat bheegi bheegi and Sar jo tera. I'd have probably picked Babu samjho ishaare from the same movie for the driving song, especially for the words Horn pukaare (given how they seem to give tax breaks for honking in Mumbai), but this one is pretty good too!

~ramsu

Anonymous said...

OMG what an excellent song from Coolie! I can positively feel the masala PUMPING THROUGH MY VEINS. AAAH!

Also, you picked my fave songs from Suhaag and Muqaddar ka Sikandar as well, bless you.

Crazy on Bollywood said...

Nice collection! Zindagi Toh Bewafaa is one of my most favorite songs.

Anonymous said...

Very nice list, from so many different decades! Ah how envious I am of your childhood spent watching Hindi films...

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

I LOVE: "Mental Breakdown!: "Disco Bhangra""

I also love "Age bhi" from Waqt- though for me, instead of regret, it symbolises looking forward, and enjoying the current moment- what's done is done- its so interesting how we can look at the same song v differently... which makes it more fun!

Rum said...

shweta- ya i think its great as a looking forward and regretting type song, and disco bhangra inducesany type of mental seizure when you watch amitabh prancing around with a shiny glove!